The Centre for the Advancement of Law and Mental Health (CALMH) which was based in the Faculty of Law, Monash University, made a substantial contribution to the transformation of the mental health law system from one that was fragmented and inequitable into a new legal system for the delivery of mental health services that is comprehensive, co-ordinated, evidence-based and just.
Dr Freckelton AO KC was a Deputy Director of CALMH.
1. To conduct scholarly research into the role of law in:
- improving access to high quality mental health care;
- promoting and maintaining good mental health; and
- preventing discrimination against individuals with mental and/or intellectual impairments.
2. To provide evaluation and guidance to key stakeholders on the reform and implementation of laws relating to:
- mental health, guardianship and decision-making incapacity;
- the treatment of individuals with mental and/or intellectual impairments in the criminal justice system; and • the rights of individuals with mental and/or intellectual impairments.
Major Research Themes
- Civil Justice
- Criminal Justice
- Social Inclusion