Centre for the Advancement of Law and Mental Health
The Centre for the Advancement of Law and Mental Health (CALMH) which was based in the Faculty of Law, Monash University, made a substantial contribution to the transformation of the mental health law system from one that was fragmented and inequitable into a new legal system for the delivery of mental health services that is comprehensive, co-ordinated, evidence-based and just.
Dr Freckelton QC was a Deputy Director of CALMH.
1. To conduct scholarly research into the role of law in:
- improving access to high quality mental health care;
- promoting and maintaining good mental health; and
- preventing discrimination against individuals with mental and/or intellectual impairments.
2. To provide evaluation and guidance to key stakeholders on the reform and implementation of laws relating to:
- mental health, guardianship and decision-making incapacity;
- the treatment of individuals with mental and/or intellectual impairments in the criminal justice system; and • the rights of individuals with mental and/or intellectual impairments.
Major Research Themes
- Civil Justice
- Criminal Justice
- Social Inclusion