Council of Australasian Tribunals
Dr Freckelton SC has been for some years a member of the Victorian Committee of the Council of Australasian Tribunals.
The objects of COAT are to:
- establish a national network of Tribunals and a national register of Tribunal members;
- establish a national network for members of Tribunals to consult and discuss areas of concern or interest and common experiences;
- provide training and support for members of Tribunals, particularly of smaller Tribunals which may not have the resources to undertake such activities alone;
- provide a forum for the exchange of information and opinions on aspects of Tribunals and Tribunal practices and procedures;
- develop best practice or model procedural rules based on collective experience of what works;
- develop standards of behaviour and conduct for members of Tribunals;
- develop performance standards for Tribunals;
- develop support systems for Tribunals, including case management and IT systems;
- provide advice to governments on Tribunal requirements;
- publish and encourage the publication of papers, articles and commentaries about Tribunals and Tribunal practices and procedures;
- promote lectures, seminars and conferences about Tribunals and Tribunal practices and procedures;
- make and disseminate reports, commentaries and submissions on aspects of Tribunals and Tribunal practices and procedures; and
- co-operate with institutions of academic learning, and with other persons having an interest in Tribunals and Tribunal practices and procedures, in promoting the objects referred to in paragraphs (a) to (l).